The advance of communications technology such a Voice-over-IP and WebRTC has paved the way for more instant and effective customer-to-business contact methods. As the customer service industry adopts these various technologies, the meaning of the phrase "click to call" evolves alongside. There are several competing definitions of click to call and below we explore its transformation from a call back method to an integrated, web-based calling solution.
The Old Click to Call
Despite the misleading name, click to call traditionally refers to a type of digital communication that requires the website customer to enter their phone number and wait for a call back from a business representative.
There are various benefits of this type of service that should be more appropriately labeled “click-to-callback”;
- The caller does not have to wait on hold for a representative
- Call queues are reduced for the call center
- The caller can input information to give context to the representative about what the call is about
However, consumers today expect a more immediate response time and can often lose interest in speaking with the business by the time it takes to get a call back. This in turn, decreases the conversion rate of sales and does not allow the business to establish a personal connection with the consumer.
Google’s Click to Call
With the mass adoption of smartphones, as well as advances in new communications technology, click to call has started to adopt a more literal version of its name. Google, for example, has made click to call readily available for businesses to implement calling into mobile search and mobile search ads from their company. The end-user clicks on the business’s call button and can place a call directly to the business through a traditional mobile call.
Google commissioned a study on their click to call offering, which found that 70% of mobile searches have used the call button, making it one of the most used features on the mobile search engine results page.
There are many benefits of Google’s click to call offering, including the following;
- It makes it easier for consumers to quickly get an answer from a business
- Consumers can talk to a real person to address their issue more effectively
- Customers can ask questions about an expensive service or product that requires a conversation
- Callers can accomplish certain actions such as booking an appointment that may not be available through the website
Google's click to call is clearly an effective solution for mobile search. In fact, 61% of survey respondents said that click to call was the most important factor in the purchase phase of the shopping process.
However, Google's click to call is limited to only within Google search and only to mobile users. Web visitors that are browsing on a computer or tablet are unable to place a call to the business directly through their browser. Callers must also have cell phone service to place a call, therefore without a cell phone connection or while traveling abroad, they are unable to reach the business.
The New Click to Call
The development of WebRTC has allowed the phrase click to call to take on a meaning that truly reflects the name’s connotation of instant and one-touch calling. Unlike in the past when web-based VoIP calls required consumer downloads such as Flash or Java based plug ins, WebRTC allows end-users to place a call to a business directly through their browser by tapping the click to call button. The process leading up to the interaction is short and simple and facilitates browser-to-browser communication without the customer ever having to leave their computer.
A few of the many benefits of the WebRTC click to call buttons include;
- Easier to contact a business with just one click from any device (computer, tablet, phone)
- The customer can call from anywhere in the world with an internet connection
- Free for the caller and drastically reduces telco expenses for the business
- Secure and encrypted communication to ensure privacy of the consumer and business
- Reduces website abandonment and drives new revenue through the website
- Caller remains engaged with the website content while reaching out to a representative
- Data can be passed along about the caller such as name, page browsed, and even items in their cart for a personalized customer experience
A phone call is still the best way to ensure customer satisfaction and the new click to call technology adds the human touch to a business's digital presence. A study by New Voice Media found that 70% of consumers like calling for a quick response, and 58% said that calling is the preferred method of communication with a company over all. However, not all calling is created equal.
55% of respondents agreed that the top reason why they dislike calling companies is not being able to speak to a real person straightaway.
WebRTC click to call buttons allow for instant, real-time communications through the browser to a real representative for a more positive and effective customer contact experience. While other means of calling a business lack personalization, worldwide accessibility, security, and the ability to transfer data surrounding each inbound call, instant click to call buttons enable secure, free, and more efficient global customer communications.
TRY IT HERE. Click to call us today!
TACTAL by i-Comm Connect delivers a patented, completely secure click to call solution that scales from small and growing to large enterprise businesses. Want to take advantage of the benefits listed above and more by adding a click to call button to your company's website? Request a demo below.